Thursday 19 February 2015

3 Incredible Movies

I am a massive film fan so am super excited for the Oscars which are just around the corner. I can't wait to watch it online (so annoying it's not aired on TV here): this year's is hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, who I think is wonderful! Of course there are 8 incredible movies up for the Best Picture Award. Personally, 5 of the films appeal to me: Birdman, Boyhood, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Theory of Everything and Whiplash. So far I have been able to see 3 of them, and as I enjoyed each one so much, I thought I would share my thoughts with you!

Birdman
I saw this a few weeks ago for a friend’s birthday (possibly the only reason I’ll go to the cinema on a day other than a Wednesday! Why must you finish next week, Orange Wednesday?!). It is wonderful. It’s about an actor who was famous for his role as Birdman in a series of movies, who is now trying to put on a play on Broadway and all the trials and difficulties that come with that, professionally and personally. I do feel that you need to see something in order to get the best idea of what it’s like, so I won’t go into too much detail about the actual film, but I can say the script is fantastic, the cinematography (basically, how it’s been shot) is extremely clever and the cast is outstanding: in particular Michael Keaton, Edward Norton and Emma Stone (who really are the main 3 anyway). The film is hilarious and touching and thrilling and catches you off guard and is just a great experience to just be watching it.

Boyhood
Now this film is completely different. It’s pioneering and has broken the mould of how films are made. Basically, it has been shot over the course of 12 years, following the story of a family as the kids are growing up and going through puberty up until leaving home, mainly centring around the son. It’s so exciting to know that the actors used for the earliest shots are the same ones used throughout the rest of the film: that’s never been done before. The cast is incredible: the parents, played by Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke, are just so grounded and so touching and a really strong core for the story, whilst the children (Ellar Coltrane and Lorelei Linklater) are so honest and believable from the very first scene. Although the storyline isn’t particularly action-packed, it is so easy to get sucked into these people’s lives and not only does it feel like these are real people who you know on a personal basis, but it feels like you’ve actually have known for years and years. A simple storyline paired with a ground-breaking idea which has changed the history of cinema has resulted in one of the most moving and poignant films I’ve ever seen.

Whiplash
I went to see this last night so still have the post-viewing adrenaline running through my veins. And believe me, if you go to see this, you will understand exactly how I feel right now! A thriller like I’ve never seen before. I don’t even know where to begin with this one... Wow, I’m really struggling to find the words…
Again, it’s a complete contrast to the other two films. I went into the cinema anticipating a good film, as I’d read reviews and heard the adverts on Classic FM throughout the previous weeks, and I knew it would be about music so of course it automatically appealed to me. However, I did not expect the rollercoaster ride I went on last night! It’s about a drummer at Music College who wants to be ‘one of the greats’ (Miles Teller) and his relationship with his new conductor/teacher (JK Simmons) who pushes him to be the best. That’s all I can say about it without giving the plot away. But I can say that it is by far one of the best films I’ve ever seen. The script is insanely good, the music is just amazing and Miles Teller and JK Simmons are INCREDIBLE. Whilst watching the film I felt moved, annoyed, shocked… Usually, I get a bit irritated when someone says they were on the edge of their seat the whole way through something, but literally from the very first to the very last scene, I was on the edge of my seat, curled up inside my seat, holding onto my seat for dear life… This is an absolute masterpiece.



And that’s about it! I want to see all of these films again. Literally, Whiplash was that good, the second the end-credits started rolling, my friend and I turned to each other and said “I want to see that again right now”. And of course, I’d really like to see the other 2 films on my ‘Best Picture’ list, although it’ll be harder after next Wednesday (on which I’m going to see Into the Woods) which is the last Orange Wednesday. However, apparently Vue cinemas are continuing the 2for1 Wednesdays throughout March at least, so if you (like me) can only afford to go on the offer-days, then definitely check that out!

Have you seen any of these films? What did you think? Can you recommend any others?


Wendy x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for all your comments, I love getting them! If you fancy getting in touch directly, tweet me @wendy_carr :) x